IPC Athletics reveals Ones to Watch list for 2015 season21.01.2015
Between them the 45 athletes from 19 different countries have won 69 Paralympic gold medals, 124 world titles and currently hold 64 world records.
To mark nine months to go until the 2015 IPC Athletics World Championships in Doha, Qatar, IPC Athletics, the international federation for para-athletics, has named 45 athletes to its Ones to Watch list for the forthcoming season.
The Ones to Watch identifies some of the leading athletes from around the world who are medal contenders at either April’s IPC Athletics Marathon World Championships in London, Great Britain, or October’s track and field World Championships.
Between them the 45 athletes from 19 different nationalities have won 69 Paralympic gold medals, 124 world titles and currently hold 64 world records.
The list includes the USA’s Tatyana McFadden (T54), Australia’s Evan O’Hanlon (T38), Great Britain’s Hannah Cockroft (T34), Ireland’s Jason Smyth (T12), Cuba’s Yunidis Castillo and the Netherlands’ Marlou van Rhijn (T43).
Featured on the list are also a number of athletes involved in great rivalries who are likely to lock horns throughout the season at events outside of the World Championships, such as the IPC Athletics Grand Prix which start in March in Brisbane, Australia. They include:
Amongst the newcomers to the list in 2015 are Australia’s T34 racer Rheed McCracken, the USA’s F51 thrower Rachael Morrison, Switzerland’s wheelchair racer Manuela Schaer, China’s T11 sprinter Cuiqing Lu and Poland’s T47 sprinter Michal Mateusz Derus.
Great Britain’s sprint sensation Maria Lyle, who set new 100m and 200m T35 world records last year during her debut season, also makes the list for the first time. At just 14-years-old, she is the youngest of the Ones to Watch for 2015.
Canada’s T53 wheelchair racing ace Brent Lakatos and Great Britain’s long jump T44 world record holder Stef Reid both feature; the first time a husband and wife have made the Ones to Watch list together at the same time.
The 20 women and 25 men who make up the 2015 IPC Athletics Ones to Watch list are:
• Johanna Benson T37 (Namibia)
• Mandy Francois-Elie T37 (France)
• Margarita Goncharova T38 (Russia)
• Ilse Hayes T13 (South Africa)
• Veronica Hipolito T38 (Brazil)
• Marie-Amelie Le Fur T44 (France)
• Vanessa Low T42 (Germany)
• Stef Reid T44 (Great Britain)
• David Brown T11 (USA)
• Jeremey Campbell F44 (USA)
• Dan Greaves F44 (Great Britain)
• Rheed McCracken T34 (Australia)
• Evan O’Hanlon T38 (Australia)
• Jonnie Peacock T44 (Great Britain)
• Heinrich Popow T42 (Germany)
• Lucas Prado T11 (Brazil)
• Scott Reardon T42 (Australia)
• Evgenii Shvestsov T36 (Russia)
• Andrey Vdovin T37 (Russia)
Ones to Watch in numbers:
• 45 athletes
• 19 different nationalities
• 64 world records held
• 69 Paralympic gold medals
• 124 world titles
• 14 years – age of the youngest athlete