Skip to main content
12221
Back to International Paralympic Committee homepage Go to Official website of World Para Snowboard
Contrast:
High Contrast
Normal Contrast
Enlargement:
Larger Font Size
Default Font Size
Smaller Font Size
Official website of World Para Snowboard
    • Home
    • News
    • Rules and Documents
    • Events
    • Live results
    • Calendar
    • Athletes
    • Videos
    • Rankings
    • Classification
    • Anti Doping
    • About
    • Newsletter
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Youtube
    • Instagram
    • News
    • Blogs

    Badenhorst defies the odds

    06.01.2015

    Doctors told Australian snowboarder Joany Badenhorst that it would take her 18 months to recover from a last-minute crash that ruled her out of contention at Sochi 2014.

    Joany Badenhorst on a snowboard at a snowboard-cross event. © • NPC Australia
    By Diane Hendrickson | For the IPC
    Listen to this page using ReadSpeaker

    “Everyone remembers the crash at Sochi and me not competing and that’s something that needs to change. I want to show everyone what I’m capable of, regardless of my injury.”

    Australian snowboarder Joany Badenhorst is back and determined to show the world what she is capable of, after her Paralympic dreams were shattered just hours before she was due to take to the course at Sochi 2014.

    During her warm up, Badenhorst, who has only been snowboarding since 2013, took a turn too hard and crashed, fracturing her knee and hip.

    “I had worked so hard for the [previous] five months,” Badenhorst said. “I completely let snowboarding devour my life. I committed to training seven days a week, but I never got to show anyone what I was capable of.

    “But at the same time, I’m just really, really lucky, with the nature of my accident, that I didn’t walk away with a broken neck.”

    Doctors initially estimated that the she would need 18 months to recover and get back on the snow.

    She did not have that much time, particularly with the new season starting in November 2014 and featuring the 2015 IPC Para- Snowboard World Championships from 23-28 February, in La Molina, Spain.

    Badenhorst spent every day in the gym rehabbing her knee and hip, and eight months after the accident that ended her season prematurely, she lined up for the first races of the 2014-15 campaign in the debut of banked slalom in Landgraaf, the Netherlands.

    “I’ve got most of my function back in my knee, and my hip is working,” she said. “Obviously there are a couple of kinks that I need to work out, but I’m basically back to normal.”

    “I definitely have something to show now,” the 20-year-old, who lost her leg in a farm accident aged 10, continued. “Everyone remembers the crash at Sochi and me not competing and that’s something that needs to change. I want to show everyone what I’m capable of, regardless of my injury.”

    In this young season, Badenhorst, who previously competed in athletics and just missed a spot at London 2012, is already demonstrating her capabilities in the women’s SB-LL2 classification. She snagged a silver medal in the debut of banked slalom in Landgraaf and placed third in a Europa Cup event at the same venue.

    Badenhorst is now set to line-up at the World Cup in Aspen, USA, from Sunday (11 January), for the debut of a new format for snowboard-cross, which will see riders race head-to-head after qualification.

    She is also toying with the idea that a successful season will catch the eye of producers from the hit television show ‘Dancing with the Stars’. The former dancer hopes to emulate Amy Purdy, who finished as runner-up on the American version earlier this year.

    “I’m about to bribe people here in Australia to get me on ‘Dancing with the Stars’,” Badenhorst quipped. “Since I was a little girl with two legs, that was the standard for me. For a while after I lost my leg, I didn’t think that was plausible.

    “But after watching Amy and after watching a couple other athletes on ‘Dancing with the Stars’, I have a renewed hope and, hopefully if I do well enough, Australia will recognise me and allow me on the show - without me having to force my way on it.”

    La Molina 2015 will feature around 80 athletes from 20 countries competing in both upper and lower-limb impairment groups in banked slalom and cross events. Media accreditation is now open.

    For competitions in 2014-15, the lower-limb impairment classification has been split into two categories – one for athletes with an impairment in one or two legs or with less activity limitation (SB-LL2) and one for athletes with a significant impairment in one leg or a significant combined impairment in both legs (SB-LL1).

    • Tweet
      • print
      • send
    LATEST NEWS
    Nottwil 2019: USA top table as Junior Worlds conclude 05.08.2019 Nottwil 2019: USA top table as Junior Worlds conclude
    Nadezhda Fedorova suspended for anti-doping violation 05.08.2019 Nadezhda Fedorova suspended for anti-doping violation
    Nottwil 2019: Breathless third day 04.08.2019 Nottwil 2019: Breathless third day
    Nottwil 2019: Noah Malone makes his way 03.08.2019 Nottwil 2019: Noah Malone makes his way
    Nottwil 2019: Mabote sets new world record inspired by teammate 02.08.2019 Nottwil 2019: Mabote sets new world record inspired by teammate
    More news...following the link
    Worldwide Paralympic Partners
    Go to Atos partner page
    Go to Bridgestone partner page
    Go to OttoBock partner page
    Go to Panasonic partner page
    Go to Samsung partner page
    Go to Toyota partner page
    Go to Visa partner page
    International Partners
    Go to Allianz partner page
    Go to BP partner page
    Go to Citi partner page
    • FAQ
    • Privacy
    • Imprint
    • Jobs
    Powered by Go to Atos. Worldwide IPC partner page
    The Paralympic Games
    Summer Games
    Winter Games
    Sochi 2014
    Rio 2016
    All the results & medallist since 1960
    Games video archive
    About the IPC
    Who we are
    Anti-Doping
    Medical
    Partners
    IPC Strategic Plan 2015-2018
    IPC Handbook
    Publications and Documents
    Media Centre
    News
    Features & Interviews
    The Paralympian
    Videos
    Athlete of the Month
    Media Office
    Sports
    Summer Sports
    Winter Sports
    Biographies
    NPCS
    Africa
    America
    Asia
    Europe
    Oceania
    Go to International Paralympic Committee homepage
    Official Website of the Paralympic Movement • IPC
    Homepage
    Paralympic Games
    The IPC
    Results, Ranking & Records
    Media Centre
    Videos
    Sports
    International Paralympic Committee (IPC)
    Adenauerallee 212-214, 53113 Bonn, Germany
    Telephone: +49-228-2097-200 • Fax: +49-228-2097-209 • E-mail: info@paralympic.org
    20:32:37