Maciel Santos5 September 1985 Brazil
- LATEST TRIUMPHS:
- 2017 Americas Championships – Gold (individual), silver (team)
- 2015 Toronto Parapan American Games – Gold (individual and team)
- 2014 World Championships – Bronze (individual)
- London 2012 Paralympics – Gold (individual)
Santos captured the BC2 individual gold at the 2017 Americas Championship and secured big wins at the two following World Open competitions to move up to No. 2 in the world.
The Brazilian had a memorable Paralympics debut after winning individual gold at London 2012, but those expectations could not be carried over into Rio. He did not make it out of the pool stages after a 4-3 loss to South Korea’s Jeong So Yeong saw him finish in 11th place.
At the 2018 World Championships, he won his pool stage but failed to make it to the medal matches.
Santos was born with cerebral palsy and began to practice boccia when he was 11. Three years later he was already representing Brazil in international competitions. For almost a decade he has lived in Mogi das Cruzes, near Sao Paulo, where he practices with Dirceu Pinto, another Paralympic gold medallist.
- LATEST NEWS
- 05.08.2019 Nadezhda Fedorova suspended for anti-doping violation
- 05.08.2019 Nottwil 2019: USA top table as Junior Worlds conclude
- 04.08.2019 Nottwil 2019: Breathless third day
- 03.08.2019 Nottwil 2019: Noah Malone makes his way
- 02.08.2019 Vote for July’s Athlete of the Month